Pen in Hand is the official literary and art publication of the Maryland Writers’ Association. It is published bi-annually in January and July.
Submission deadline for the next issue of Pen in Hand is November 30th, 2018.
MWA members and young writers are encouraged to submit – poetry, sci-fi, flash fiction, short stories, drama, memoirs, creative non-fiction, personal essays, travelogue (incl. photos).
Please follow the following submission guidelines:
1. Use black type only
2. Submit only in Times New Roman font
3. use font size 12 for the manuscript
4. leave 1inch margin on top, bottom, left and right
5. Title of ‘story’: place three double spaces below top of page. Center title
6. One space below your title place your name at the right corner
7. Indent first line of each paragraph 1/2″ inch
8. Single space between stop and new sentence
9. In general, dialog should be double spaced and in quotation
10. One double space below the end of your manuscript, include a brief Bio. The Bio should be limited to your literary works and interest, publication and awards.
11. Below and near the right margin give an approximate word count of your manuscript.
Chicken soup for the soul is looking for submissions for some upcoming books. To see a list of possible topics, writing guidelines, and to submit go here: http://www.chickensoup.com/story-submissions/possible-book-topics
Gary Zenker has a podcast he is working on called 999WordsOrLess.com. Writers read their polished stories then he will do an interview with them about the story and their writing process. If anyone is interested here is the info:
- Submission requirements:
- Your work must be 999 words or less.
- Your work should be a complete story or stand alone as one (as opposed to the first chapter of a novel)
- It may be any fiction genre except straight erotica or poetry
- The author name and number of words should be included on the piece itself
- The story should be sent as an attachment in WORD format. I will NOT convert any files.
- Your story may have been previously published, as long as you have the right and permission to place it again.
- You must be the author of the piece to submit it.
- Any pieces featured are yours with your copyright, but you grant us permission to publish your work indefinitely on the archived podcast.
- Submit to email@example.com.
Writers’ Resources (Maryland Writers’ Association list)
TED Resources (A collection of informative and entertaining “TED Talks” videos.)
Duotrope (Where to submit, how to submit, and track all of your submissions)
New Pages (Information and guides to independent bookstores, independent publishers, literary magazines, alternative periodicals, alternative newsweeklies and more.)
Poets & Writers (The nation’s largest nonprofit literary organization serving poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers)
The Write Life – “Helping writers create, connect and earn.”
Presentation: Plot & Structure with Brandon Patterson – Nov. 20, 2013
Area Writers’ Groups
Maryland Writers’ Association
– parent organization of the MWA Charles County Chapter
Life Journeys Writers’ Club
– Waldorf-based writers’ group
Eastern Shore Writers’ Association
– all-volunteer organization supporting writers, other writers’ groups, and the literary arts across the Delmarva Peninsula and the Eastern Shore.
Mystery Writers of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter
– monthly meetings feature authors as well as FBI agents, investigative reporters, forensics experts, film critics and private investigators.
Maryland Literary Journals
3QR: The Three Quarter Review
Free State Review
Infinity’s Kitchen: A Graphic Literary Journal
Little Patuxent Review
Loch Raven Review
Potomac Review blog
Smile, Hon, You’re in Baltimore
The Baltimore Review
The Delmarva Review
The Potomac Review